The provided drawings were made by the requirements of the Russian Federation regulations.
According to the Appendix to Order 288, a safe must be:
• made of high-strength material
• guarantee safekeeping
• prevent unauthorized persons’ access
• have 3mm thick metal walls
• disposed indoors not less than in 1.5m from the front door; 0.5m from windows; and in 1.0m from heating installations
Homemade gun safe, body
Metal sheets dimensions according to GOST 19903-74 (mm):
– back wall (3х294х1294)
– two side walls (3х250х1294)
– bottom and top (3х300х250)
– partition wall (3х200х1294)
– six shelves (3х100х200)
– big frame 3х294х1294 (width 10)
– small frame 3х280х1280 (width 7)
Drill three through holes of 10mm diameter for tie bolts.
Big and small frame can be welded of metal sheets of appropriate width.
Metal sheets dimensions make 3х272х1272 (mm). Fix a small handle on the door, and then weld female blind hinges.
After you have prepared all the details, you have drawings and materials, refer to the photos below.
1. Place the back wall on a flat surface and fix it.
2. Erect top and left side wall, keeping identical angles between them (90°). Fix them in needed position and weld in several points. Check correctness of sheets position.
3. Erect bottom and right side wall, the same as in i.2.
4. Erect side partition wall of the shelves and fix it in needed position, the same as in i.2.
5. Examine all the angles of the welded structure. When confirmed that all angles and dimensions are in accordance with the drawings, begin welding inside of the structure in line of the joints.
6. Place shelves at needed intervals apart, and then weld them to the body.
7. Weld door frame of big and small frames.
8. Weld the door frame to the front side. The welding should be inside the structure.
9. Weld the male blind hinges on the inside of the door frame.
10. Hang the door on the hinges. If the structure is assembled right, the gap between the door and the door frame will make one millimeter along the perimeter.
11. Sand joints of the metal sheets.
12. Cover the whole structure with anti-corrosion coating.
13. Finish with cover coating.
14. Insert lock.
15. Mount the gun safe on the wall, using tie bolts.
Making gun safe at home is not so difficult. The above arrangement is one of the variants, – which protect your weapon and ammo against unauthorized access.