I have decided to show you the technical instruction for making a handgun case. Don’t judge me too harshly – I’m not a professional, as you will see.
We need the following materials:
1. A strip 10х20 mm.
2. Plywood 4mm, 15mm.
3. Artificial leather, or enameled cloth
4. Stretching velvet
5. Polyurethane foam 20 mm wide.
Don’t forget about supplies: glue, filler, sandpaper
Making pistol case
1. I have made small attachments (decided to make two boxes in case if I spoil one) so that all boxes were similar.
2. Cut a strip10х20 mm of necessary sizes, I have made boxes with inner dimensions of 220х300 mm. Fitment is used as pattern. After cutting, strips should fit into attachments without forming gaps. Strip sizes are 320 and 210 mm correspondingly.
3. Apply glue and stick together the frame, and use drywall screws of 3,5х30 size. The frame is ready.
The next steps:
1. Cut (with allowance) a rectangle of dimensions 320х230 mm from plywood.
2. Apply glue on frame surface, and hammer plywood with nails (1,5х10 mm), pushing it.
3. Bark handgun box from all sizes.
4. Plaster the box and bark again.
Stick enameled cloth around the handgun case.
Why did I take this material?
1.It is less expensive than natural leather.
2. It stretches, and you can pull it easily when needed.
3. It’s my first experience, so I test the material.
To show the process and steps of glueing, I posted photographs:
Now put the “pad” on the cover.
Take plywood 5 mm thick, and cut with small allowances according to the infer size of cover.
Glue polyurethane foam 20 mm and glue the velvet all around, pulling it gently.
I accidentally split some glue on velvet, but I don’t mind – it can be easily removed with dissolvent.
Here’s what I did:
I put the pad inside. In my case, it sat tightly, so I didn’t glue it. If it dangles slightly, you can glue it.
Now the hardest part left – inner departments for a handgun and accessories.
To make it, I needed a handgun. I asked my friend to play with his favorite Roth-Steyr 1907 ( I though he would give me something simpler).
It took me too hours to wrap the handgun with adhesive tape and put in gypsum. The form was ready and I filled it with epoxide resin – epoxide model was ready.
Then I cut the model and accessory contours from plywood 15 mm thick. That’s how it looks:
After that, I glued it with velvet, pressed the model and accessories inside, put inside the box and closed the cover.
The next day I opened it: velvet adjusted to the contour, I liked how it looked. Now the most pleasant part of the job: installation of corners, hinges, etc.
That’s the final look of my present: